Since 1947 the museum is located in the building built in 1777-1779 in Baroque style on the project of the provincial architect N.N. Iyevsky (1740-1779) and being a historical and cultural monument of federal importance. It has been constructed by request of the Voronezh governor the general – the lieutenant Ivan Alekseyevich Potapov on Bolshaya Dvoryanskaya Street (совр. Revolyutsii Avenue). After Potapov’s death his widow Elena Antonovna who has run over to the manor Semidubravnoye of the Zemlyansky County has sold the building to the major general Sandberg who in turn in 1803 has sold the house of the Voronezh komissariatsky commission.
Originally, the building was surrounded by the arcade and one-storey stone services which have formed the extensive yard behind which the park has been broken. Throughout the 19th century “The Voronezh palace” repeatedly was under repair, however the main image of the building was left without changes.
In 1911 the building has passed to the Voronezh provincial museum which after 1917 was called the museum of study of local lore. After the Great Patriotic War in him the museum of Fine Arts which has come back from evacuation was placed. During war the building has suffered from the fire and has been restored in 1952-1953 under observation of the architect G.V. Zdebchinsky. The historical internal planning structure has remained so far. In 1984 to the back of a northern projection of the building the showroom has been attached.
Now the museum fund contains over 20 thousand units of storage according to sections of Ancient Egyptian and antique arts, painting, sculptures, diagrams, is decorative – applied art. Saving old values, the museum carries scientifically – research, culturally – educational, sobiratelsky activities, works from meetings of participants in exhibitions of the largest museums of the country.
The museum fund consists of collections:
The Ancient East
Decorative and applied arts
The exposition area of the main building is 832.4 m2
The exposition area of the exhibition hall is 724.7 m2
The main fund is 20 360 units of storage.